This section is what we were trying to work on. Give a look and send me some ideas.
(1) You have escaped the crushing clutches of the one-eyed giant mandrel.Take three jewels.
- This might be a monkey Mandrill. It fits better. That would be a big ugly monkey.
(2) “I am the unseen wailer. I will make you deaf!...” Take a jewel and ignore him.
(3) The canyon of grass has trapped your opponents. Take one jewel from each opponent.
(4) Listen! The great god Ra stirs the wind for a sandstorm. Save yourself! Take one jewel.
(5) This is Kantat, where the spirits of the slain thirst for revenge. Run! Go up one level.
- that seems like a musical instrument by the wiki definition. Kamchat? Kanchan? KA-chow ;)
- I played this with repeat over and over, listening to the syllables... I hear a 'Kam' (a short a sound as is about) and the next syllable 'ch' sound as in 'chot' or 'chat' and I'm getting Kham-Chat which pops up. I can't find a meaning though... I've tried other possible spelling sound alike. This is a tough one.
- I clearly don't hear the next syllable start with a 't' sound
(6) Listen to the lost souls whispering in eternal darkness. Take one jewel.
(7) The knives of the desert bandits are sharp, and your blood is warm. Return to your temple.
(8) You are at the haunted tower of the thirteen garroted slaves. Move up one level.
- garroted makes sense.
(9) Look out! The unholy snakes of Aman reach from below. Move up one level.
- Amon? Amen? But Aman is a place and part of the tolkien story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aman
(10) Here runs the river of glass. Its waves are sharp. Beware! Move up one level.
(11) Avoid the paralyzing touch of the slimy snails of Arro. Return at once to your temple.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arro This is a place.
(12) The screeching green pestilence brings death. Take three jewels, if your age is an odd number.
(13) Beware of the fierce felines of Pharaoh. Take three jewels, if your age is an even number.
(14) You are being attacked by the fierce Toreg. Run! Take a jewel, or change a level.
- Again, I can't find anything with Toreg. Toureg?
- We are going with Taureg
(15) You are in luck. You have found the secret passage. Take two jewels.
(16) Beware! The black waters of Necron hunger for a victim. Take one jewel.
- Necron is a place?
(17) Your blood will be drained by the leeches of Limbo. Take a jewel, or change a level.
- I don't know if Limbo is a place or just a general reference ie. "Lost in Limbo"
(18) To climb safely the crumbling cliffs of Ka, you must give one jewel to an opponent.
- This works or maybe Kah? Kha?
(19) Ignore the hungry howling of the slimy dog-headed serpent. Take two jewels.
(20) Stay away from the bottomless pit. Watch out! Move up one level.
(1) Word from the Gods is Clear. Your Time on Earth is Limited. Move down one level.
(2) Beware! You are Surrounded by the Quicksands of El-Arrah. Move down one level.
- I like this it seems arabic spelling.
(3) You Have Passed the Three Headed Invisible Dog, Hale, who guards Prince Haligo’s palace. Go down one level.
- ok, a dog named Hale? Hail? Haligo's? Hailego's?
(4) The Siren’s Deadly Song will Make you Deaf. Get rid of the spell, or change your level.
(5) You have entered the forest of iron. Take one jewel from each opponent on your level.
(6) You thoughtlessly drank from Pharaoh’s poisoned well. You receive the spell.
(7) The hand of destiny reaches for your throat. You receive the spell.
(8) The mutilated mummy speaks. If you are left-handed only, get rid of the spell, or change your level.
(9) You have conquered the man-eating monster of Myrmidon. Receive one jewel from every opponent on your level.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmidons That's a tough one... - I put this on repeat and I'm hearing Manidon
(10) You Fed the Starving Winged Griffins. Give the Spell to Any Opponent, or Change Your Level.
(11) The Dismembered Head of Oh Chants Curses. Give the Spell to any opponent, or change your level.
- We came up with this also, right? A lot of web hits about Oh Chants? Not sure of the connection though.
(12) Have you tasted blood? If not, give one jewel to any one opponent.
(13) The black vampire bat thirsts for your blood. You receive the spell.
(14) You have succeeded in crossing the abyss of thundering fire. Take one jewel from any one opponent.
- Vaulting is being heard on this one.
(15) You are completely surrounded by evil. Take another turn, or change your level.
(16) Don’t let the giant octopeds grab you. They’ll never let go. Move quickly! You receive the spell.
- I thought I hear octopus all of the years! But I clearly hear octopedes. Thanks Tony!
(17) The mills of doom grind on. If you are right-handed only, give the spell to any opponent, or change your level.
(18) You are menaced by the sacred bone-crushing elephants. Get rid of the spell, or change your level.
(19)You have miraculously crossed the bridge of sighs. Give the spell to any opponent, or change your level.
- You've is heard here also.
(20) The sultan of Kamir has captured you. As ransom, give one jewel to each opponent on your level- I think we used Kamir also.
(Note: way back in the day when this game was new, the folks with whom I played VotM decided that the answer to "Have you tasted blood?" in message 2-12 should always be "No" whenever we played and heard this message.)
Hope these help!
-- Tony Nardo
Both Kathryn and I agree about the blood question. If it it came down to losing a precious jewel - of course you would say "yes" and keep it. Thats the point of the game - loose your jewels, steal jewels, get rid of the spell jewel to win the game!